I'm off on a new adventure to Dresden, Germany. Here you can find tales of my travels and images of my latest artwork.

30.8.10

Rain, rain, rain

From the bridge that crosses from Neustadt to Altstadt
07 August 2010

After a few days of thundershowers and heavy rain, the river that runs through Dresden flooded.  Dresden is a very low city so I guess this is not uncommon.  In fact, along this bridge is a monument to a flood that actually COVERED the bridge in 2002. 


You can see in the second picture that an entire road (plus sidewalk and benches) are covered. 

We decided to adventure along the river and had to skirt many flooded areas.
We walked the "Elbradweg" which is a bike path that runs along the river for many miles.  There were lots of people checking out the flood.  Normally, people don't swim in the Elbe because its considered to be dirty as it flows from the Czech Republic.  I guess flood days are an exception.


After a 4 mile walk, we ended up at a biergarten.  They're only open in the summer, so we had to take advantage of it.  I think the biergartens here are great because they have fantastic pretzels and playgrounds.  I wish I had a beer keg playhouse...

No comments: