I'm off on a new adventure to Dresden, Germany. Here you can find tales of my travels and images of my latest artwork.

15.9.10

My Mom in Dresden

My mom arrived in Dresden a bit tired and jet-lagged but ready to go!  Unfortunately, the weather did not share the same enthusiasm.  It was pouring rain.  Which lead to an afternoon nap.  Naps are always better when it rains.

However, by the evening, the weather cleared up a little and we were able to do some shopping and get dinner at the Sophienkeller.  Since "keller" means "cellar" in German, it was no surprise that this restaurant happened to be in the basement of a church which was ruined in the bombing.  It was very festive, with all the stone walls, ambient lighting, and costumed wait-staff.

Here we are at our table (which we had to share with another group of diners that spoke no English.  Only a little awkward... but I guess that's common practice here).

The food here was good, after we had the waitress translate a few confusing words (like the word for truffle).   But by far, the best part of this restaurant was the fact that they had all these random "artifacts" hanging around.  I don't mean the fancy pictures on the wall or the knight in the hall- both of those were cool, but being in a cellar you might expect them.  The real eye-catchers were things like the "alchemist's chamber" complete with frazzled manikin and this:

 Now, I like a spinning carousel as much as the next carnival goer- but in a restaurant?  Isn't that asking for trouble?

No comments: