I'm off on a new adventure to Dresden, Germany. Here you can find tales of my travels and images of my latest artwork.

17.4.11

A Flea Market and a House Warming Party

Every Saturday along the Elbe, they hold a giant trödelmarkt or flea market.  They actually have them all over Dresden, but I think this one is the largest.  They even get food stands to come out and sell food to the hundreds of vendors and shoppers!

It's pretty impressive, even from far away.

A lot of the "booths" looked like people just pulled stuff out of their keller or found stuff on the side of the road and were trying to sell it, but some of the stuff was really old and super interesting.


I REALLY wish they had one of these in Austin when I still had an art room because there was SO much cool stuff for still life drawing - like this really old and probably very dangerous fan:
or these telephones:
or this phone in a suitcase:
or even this hairdryer:


You could even buy clothing and furniture!

The coolest thing I saw were these old windows:

I really wanted to buy them to make paintings on.  I probably stood and examined them for 10 minutes!  I REALLY REALLY wanted them.  But we were walking and they were heavy and I probably don't even have time for painting windows in my last 3 months here... but maybe next time I'll buy them and bring them home as a project for New York... who knows??

Anyhow, the whole experience was very interesting.  Also, I got some warm streuselkuchen, which was fantastic!

Later, we went over to a house warming party where we played Bob's favorite game, corn hole.  It's called corn hole because you throw bean bags full of corn at a board like this:
and try to get them in the hole.

Here's a nice action shot:

We had a great time enjoying the courtyard at the housewarming party!

It was a very busy, interestingly fun Saturday :)

No comments: