I'm off on a new adventure to Dresden, Germany. Here you can find tales of my travels and images of my latest artwork.

6.6.11

The Actual Männertag and Tropical Islands

To reflect back on Männertag, which I made out to be the most un-appealing, piggish day men participate in all year... I have to say that for the most part, it seemed like a fun day for guys to hang around with other guys without having to think about eating that second bratwurst or using a bush as a lavatorial facility or belching loudly without saying excuse me.  I only saw a few groups of men that were out of control, and from the photos and stories I heard from my husband, there was a lot of games and drinking and I am really just as glad I was able to take a nice walk, use actual restrooms with toilets and toilet paper, and have normal (mostly) mature conversations during my Männertag.

So it wasn't as terrible as I made it out to be.  Though it is sad that there isn't a holiday in Germany where dads get cute cards.  It is not that sad that people don't have to buy ties for their dads (except maybe for the tie stores...)

This past weekend we also took our second trip to Tropical Islands.  It was fantastic.  

Unfortunately... I have no pictures to post because...

You know that feeling you have whenever you leave the house for a while... like maybe you forgot something important like money?  or to turn off the stove?  or that you didn't pack any underwear?  or maybe that there's something in the fridge that is already growing funny green fur that stinks and by the time you get back your whole fridge will be taken over???

Well... I left the house with that feeling on Friday... I got down the stairs, out the door and realized I didn't have my sunglasses.  So I ran back up to get them and got into the car thinking "ah... at least I remembered what it was I felt like I was forgetting."  

BUT about ten minutes later, I was back on the paranoid questioning- "are you sure I put out water for the cats?" "do you think I remembered to pull the door shut tight?" "I turned off the stove this morning, right?"

Turns out I was forgetting something else.  The camera.

I guess its good that it was our second trip so we already had some pictures.  Plus, we went with some friends who casually suggested that anyone caught taking pictures of them in a bathing suit might suffer an unfortunate accident... so not a big deal.

Next post maybe I'll have some pictures of something.  Even if it's totally unrelated.  


No comments: