I'm off on a new adventure to Dresden, Germany. Here you can find tales of my travels and images of my latest artwork.

19.10.10

Leuven, Belgium and the Best Waffles Ever!

This past weekend we took a trip to Leuven, Belgium to visit our friend Ray from college.

We had a great weekend- Leuven is a pretty cool place.

Here is an open air food market where they sell lots of fruits and vegetables, and most importantly, cookies.
We walked around downtown a lot and saw some really cool architecture.
This was downtown in the city center.  One of the coolest things we saw was in the largest city square in Leuven, the Ladeuzplein.  It was a sculpture called the totem created by the artist Jan Fabre.
 This is a surrealist view of a bug on a needle and it sits in front of the neo-classical library.  This juxtaposition apparently captures the spirit of Leuven.  I'm not sure about that, but it sure is neat!

Along with a lot of exploring, we also ate a lot of food.  Belgium is known for a few foods, two being french fries (though I would have thought that would be France, but apparently, Belgium has the best) and Belgian Waffles.  The fries were okay.  I'm not a big fan of mayonaise, which comes with the fries, but I do love ketchup, which does not come with the fries.  Even if you ask really nicely they bring you one tiny packet.  I think the fries would have been better had I brought my own ketchup bottle.

The best thing I think I've ever eaten in my life so far is a Belgian Waffle.  A REAL Belgian waffle.
I'm not talking about the Belgian waffles like this, which is how I've always thought of a Belgian waffle.
  I'm talking about a waffle like this:
Now, when asked which waffle looks better, I'm sure most would agree that the "Denny's Waffle" is prettier, but I assure you, the ugly waffle is the best waffle ever.  I ate three.
It came from this funny little stand, which didn't look that impressive, but you could smell the waffles two blocks away, and in case I haven't mentioned, they were delicious!
The funny thing about Belgian waffles is they aren't made from batter, like most pancakes and waffles.  They start as a ball of sugary dough.  That's probably what makes them so good.

Here I am with a statue of a baker.  Maybe I'll start my own waffle business!  Don't I look like a natural baker?

No comments: