I'm off on a new adventure to Dresden, Germany. Here you can find tales of my travels and images of my latest artwork.

28.10.10

Sinneswandel DunkelRestaurant

This will be my first post ohne bilder (without photos).  On Wednesday evening, we went on the scariest dinner date ever.  Not scary in the "boo" type of way, but scary as in knee-knocking pit-in-stomach scary.  One of our friends made a dinner reservation for us at Sinneswandel, a Dunkelrestuarant.  What is a dunkelrestaurant, you ask?  Well, dunkel means dark- so it was a dark restaurant, or as is more common, a blind restaurant.  It promised to be a fun filled evening of sitting in darkness eating dinner.  So why were we nervous?  Well, its one thing to sit in darkness and eat dinner and be able to say "excuse me sir, I've dropped my fork" or "where is my napkin" or "I can't seem to locate this chicken on my plate", but we decided it would be especially difficult because we wouldn't be able to speak to the waiter or understand what he said.

We arrived and chose our food from a selection of four four-course menus.  We were then led into the dinning room by our waiter who was actually blind.  I assumed maybe the waiters had night-vision goggles or something, but I guess I was wrong.

Sitting at the table went pretty well.  We all located our utensils and got our drinks.  The funniest part about sitting in the dark was that everyone felt the need to talk really loud and there were about 5 conversations going on at once because no one knew who anyone else was talking to.

It wasn't quite as hard to eat as I expected, though I was hoping for finger foods like chicken fingers and french fries.  We had to use all our utensils to eat salad, soup, fish & vegetables and even an ice cream dessert.  I have to say that though I managed to use the utensils, my fingers were in my food an awful lot.  It made me wish I hadn't been feeling around the table and touching everything so much before the meal came.

I guess not being able to see is supposed to make the food taste better.  The food was pretty awesome, but I'm not sure if its because I couldn't see it or if its because it was an expensive restaurant.  Either way, we had a blast and enjoyed some tasty food.

If you need a fun place to go for dinner sometime, I highly recommend a dunkelrestaurant!

No comments: