I'm off on a new adventure to Dresden, Germany. Here you can find tales of my travels and images of my latest artwork.

11.10.10

Herbst-y-ness

This weekend the weather was sehr schön- very "Herbst-y" (my new favorite adjective that I made up using the German word for fall).  It was cool and crisp and sunny and best of all, we saw a lot of this: 
To the normal observer, this might appear to be a tree.  But to a New Englander who hasn't seen fall foliage in three years, this was a stunningly beautiful tree.

After living in Austin for two years, one of the things I missed most was fall-- my favorite season.  When I was little, I used to love apple picking and jumping in leaf piles and the smell of pumpkins and apples and cinnamon and the sound of rustling dry leaves.  Austin doesn't really have a fall.  One day, the leaves are green and still attached to the trees (summer) and the next day they're brown and on the ground (winter).  I need a solid month (or more) of leaves turning colors and falling off the trees gradually.  

I was so excited about the herbst-y-ness that I took lots of pictures of leaves. 



 Well, okay-- and some wagon wheels and rocks.  These are all pictures from a cute little town about 20 minutes from us called Moritzburg.  There is a very nice castle there as well, but I didn't take any pictures of it because it wasn't herbsty enough.  (No, I would have taken pictures but the front of it was under construction, so it wasn't very nice looking) 

On Saturday morning we got up early to drive to Moritzburg to have brunch with our German friends Ralf and Britta.  After eating so much food, we had to walk around for a while in order to be able to fit back in the car.  On our walk, along with lots of leaves, we also saw this spider.
Germany has some high quality spiders.  They are typically very large.  This particular spider was about the size of a quarter.  

We spent the rest of the weekend relaxing outside and enjoying the fall weather.  HAPPY HERBST!

No comments: