I'm off on a new adventure to Dresden, Germany. Here you can find tales of my travels and images of my latest artwork.

23.5.11

The International Dixieland Festival

Sunday was the last day of the International Jazz Festival in Dresden.  Bob's parents are in town, so we took them down by the river to see the parade. (along with a bazillion other jazz fans!)

It was actually one of the better parades I've seen!  The nice thing was that it was mostly made up of big trucks with jazz bands playing in the back.  AND it was pretty much JUST BANDS!  Not that I don't like to see groups of marching boyscouts and girlscouts (which I used to love when I was a girl scout) or guys in fancy military uniforms, but bands are definitely the best part of any parade.

A one man band 
A Feldschloßchen Band (too bad all the bands faced the other way)

A dixieland umbrella dancer

The zoo truck (complete with band)

A marching band

This weird guy that walks around with a horn that sounds like a bird...
everywhere... not just in parades.   
It was well worth the wait and sitting in the heat and having some guy keep kicking me in the butt...

Later on, we went to a dixie land concert by the river and sat on the grass on a blanket.  It was actually the Air Force band stationed in Germany- they were pretty awesome, but not quite as good as the parade!

It was a great day of Dixieland :)

No comments: