I'm off on a new adventure to Dresden, Germany. Here you can find tales of my travels and images of my latest artwork.

16.6.11

10 Things...

As you know, I'm in my last month of my European vacation and will soon be returning to real life in the US.  I'm very conflicted over how to feel about this move.  Half of me is so excited to be back in a place where people have normal colored hair, speak my language, and don't give me funny looks when I laugh out-loud at a restaurant.  But the other half is sad to leave my awesome apartment in the middle of downtown Dresden where the mall, fantastic pastries, bratwurst and two Starbucks are only steps away.
**I would also like to add that had I been able to drink for the past five months, German beer, which is far superior to American beer, would also be included in that last sentence.

In honor of the move, and to help keep my sanity, I've decided to post the top 10 things I will miss about Dresden, the top 10 things I can't wait to leave behind in Dresden, and the top 10 things I'll be glad to have back in the US.  (And once I'm back, I'm sure I'll have another list of the things I really didn't miss...)

So, here goes...

The Top 10 Things I Will Miss About Dresden

1. Bier Gartens
2. Public Transportation because sometimes it's nice to not drive
3. Our giant and conveniently located apartment (which is probably bigger than the house we will buy)
4. Walking everywhere
5. Bratwurst on demand.  No matter where you go or when you're there.
6. People watching.  They are rude and weird and dress ridculously, but that makes for some entertainment.
7. Not taking responsibility for my actions because sometimes it's easier to play dumb with a "I don't speak German"
8. Bakeries.  Everywhere.  Seriously.  Fresh bread and pastries every 5 steps.
9. Beer that is cheaper than water.
10. Markets and Festivals every other week.

The Top 10 Things I am Glad to Leave Behind

1. Smells.  The once a week showerer, the "I don't use deodorant", the sewage smell on the street...
2. Unfriendly, rude Germans.  Not all of them, but the majority.
3. Paying to use a public restroom.  ESPECIALLY if it's dirty or doesn't have toilet paper.  I must have spent 200 Euro just going to the bathroom here...
4. Paying half of what my meal costs at a restaurant for a soda.  Then getting a soda sized for a barbie doll.  .2l?  That's like a dixie cup.  Yeah, what a thirst quencher.
5. Having a dorm-room-sized fridge and having to go to the grocery store every day.
6. Needing a grocery cart but not having a Euro... which leads to me traipsing around the grocery store with two hand baskets looking like an overloaded mule.
7. Being constantly run into on the street.  I don't know what it is, but Germans are drawn to me like a magnet and then look like they're about to bite my head off after they run into me!
8. Budgers.  Line-cutters.  These people act like they're in kindergarten... sorry Frau, but there aren't "backsies" in real life.
9. Construction outside my window ALL THE TIME.
10. Lack of air conditioning.  Seriously?  Summer while pregnant with no A/C equals a crazed lunatic (me).

Top 10 Things I am Looking Forward to Having Back in My Life

1. All the important people in my life who will be a car trip, not a 15 hour plane ride, away.
2. Wal-Mart.  (I know, some of you boycott it, and I understand.  But I need the one-stop-shop that's open 24 hours).
3. Free water and free refills on soft drinks.  I might float away...
4. Free bathrooms.
5. The Food Network and American TV (not that I don't love CNN, the BBC and reality shows in German.
6. Good Mexican food.  Actually, good food in general... especially red meat.
7. My car.  My Honda Fit is awesome.  And it is orange.  And it fits a lot of stuff.  And I miss driving.
8. English speaking people.  At stores, on the phone, on the street... Being able to communicate with others makes life a lot easier.
9. Going out to eat without it taking 3+ hours.
10. Drive-throughs and take out.  Sometimes you just need some good food fast and you don't want to cook or wait 2 hours at a restaurant.

No comments: